Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Enduring Spiritual Oppression

I want to share a bit of my experience with what I have been comfortable calling oppression. That's a state that is temporary and depends on precise circumstances that I can usually identify. It may be an instance of harassment, the receipt of a suggestion that violates my convictions (and directs me away from the obedience I know God has called me to), a perception of being disconnected from the love of God (due to a lack of hearing his voice and receiving his guidance for a while), weariness in waiting on God for sure promises of his word, etc. It's the "valley" experiences that I know by experience will be followed by a restoration. I just need to have faith that I'm going to get better and I always do, even delighting in God (Psalm 37:5) and overflowing with joy.


The process to get me "back up" is all internal. No change in my circumstances really shield me from experiencing oppression for the same reasons or others, but I come to rise above these temporary circumstances, or rather, escape their pinch, somehow. Usually, I get there after a time of prayer and hearing the word (audio Scriptures), mostly certain Psalms that actually reflect how I feel. These Psalms affirm God's promises to his people, make mention of disappointments or afflictions and usually end in praise. At those times of oppression, I am also often too weak to read, so I have some pre-recorded prayers that I can say and hear without opening my mouth. I have written prayers so I do not lose sight of certain things in my life that I want to keep bringing to God's attention like the widow of Jesus' parable in Luke 18. I update them as I receive direction to do that or when my circumstances evolve (including prayers being answered). So, after a time with God, my spiritual "dashboard" would reflect that all is well and I would no longer feel down nor irritable.

My recovery also often takes the form of sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving, made easier through short songs that are my own. Singing or humming them functions like playing a spiritual instrument for the glory of God. Besides songs of thanksgiving and praise, there is a third type that I sing (or hum or listen to a recording of) in those times and it is about reminding myself of God's sovereignty over my life. I am encouraged to persevere under affliction and I progress to a place of peace. I am led by the Spirit to either praise, give thanks or remind myself of who is in control —it's not a choice I make; I just find myself in one of those three "modes" and stay in it for a while. Eventually, the atmosphere within me changes for the better. And what happens in the background, I think, is simply that my assurance of God's love and care for me rises in my heart despite trying circumstances that are speaking some lies to me. To me, that's spiritual warfare.  

I am usually more or less aware that the disturbance I have suffered in my peace has come from the way I have responded to some afflicting circumstances. And I come to think that I could have mitigated that disturbance with a more appropriate response as the sufficient grace of God is supplied to me (2 Corinthians 12:9). But in weakness, I do get down and need to rise back up. I understand I need to use God's grace to humble myself more in some areas, for instance, in my interactions with some people; I need to deny myself more to not take offense, especially when I get grieved by a repeated conversation or behavior; and I also need to be able to endure an ongoing unpleasant situation with joy and thanksgiving. 


The context for all this is that I am in a season of trials in my life where I experience spiritual highs and lows. My times of oppression are getting less frequent and are like passing dark clouds. I feel God has equipped me to navigate those circumstances better and better and I believe I am not experiencing anything random. I am even sure that I am living through answered prayers and there is a purpose in my afflictions while I walk with God in this season of my life. 

Lastly, I have not researched in depth the nuances between what I call oppression and depression, but I just know I have not experienced certain states of mind that border on despair of life and somehow that's my perception of depression at this time (before getting better informed on depression).

I pray this helps somebody in the body of Christ.


John 16:33
I have told you these things, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.


See also:

Anxiety and Depression Recovery  - YouTube playlist

Trusting God - playlist

Outlook in Difficult Situations


Trials and Tribulations












No comments:

Post a Comment